Funding & Compliance
SPECIAL ED FUNDING LIVEBINDER - Click this heading for information
The Special Ed Funding livebinder is a collaborative effort of Education Service Center (ESC), Regions 4, 10, 13, and 20, to create a special education funding manual.
The binder includes current content compiled from multiple sources, practical tools for the administrator, and training materials for use by ESC and LEA* staff.
*LEA = local educational agency, which includes ISDs and Open-Enrollment Charter Schools
ALLOWABLE COSTS - Click this heading for information
EXCESS COST REQUIREMENT - Click this heading for information
The Excess Cost requirement under IDEA-B stipulates that LEAs must not use IDEA-B funds to pay for all the costs directly attributable to the education of a child with a disability.
An LEA meets the Excess Cost requirement if it spends at least a minimum average amount for the education of its children with disabilities from other sources (from non-IDEA-B funds).
The LEA must demonstrate that it meets the Excess Cost requirement of IDEA-B by completing an Excess Cost Calculation annually.
TEA's Excess Cost Calculator Tool and Excess Cost Guidance Handbook are located on TEA's Excess Cost website.
- Regardless of whether you intend to apply for funds;
- Regardless of whether you are a member of a special education SSA
- ADC Form (Federal) for IDEA-B Formula, IDEA-B Preschool, & IDEA-B Discretionary Deaf available 5/15/20, if your 2020-2021 SC5003 has been submitted
- ADC Form (State) for IDEA-C and State Deaf available 8/3/20, if your 2020-2021 SC5003 has been submitted
- Special Education Consolidated Grant Application (Federal) for funding sources:IDEA-B Formula, IDEA-B Preschool & IDEA-B Discretionary Deaf available around 6/2/20, if your 2020-2021 SC5003 and 2020-2021 SPED ADC (Federal) have been submitted
- Special Education Consolidated Grant Application (State) for funding sources IDEA-C and State Deaf available around 8/3/20, if your 2020-2021 SC5003 and 2021 SPED ADC (State) have been submitted
HIGH COST FUND (HCF) - click this heading for information
MAINTENANCE OF EFFORT (MOE) - Click this heading for information
IDEA-B Maintenance of Effort (MOE) is a federal requirement for any local educational agency (LEA, which includes ISDs and open-enrollment charter schools) that receives IDEA-B funds to spend at least the same amount of state and/or local funds for special education expenditures that was spent in the most recent prior year the LEA was compliant with MOE (unless the LEA qualifies for exceptions and/or adjustment).
Information regarding MOE may be found on TEA's IDEA-B LEA Maintenance of Effort website.
TEA has posted the Final version of the 2018-2019 "IDEA-B LEA MOE Compliance Review" in GFFC Reports and Data Collections, accessed via TEAL. Use the expenditures amount from page 2 of this Final review as the expenditures amount to enter in Line 1 of the BS6016 Fiscal Compliance schedule associated with the 2020-2021 Special Education Consolidated Grant Application (Federal).
TEA will conduct random validations of the amounts entered in Lines 1 and 2 of the BS6016.
- Ensure the amount entered on Line 1 was obtained from page 2 of the Final version of the 2018-2019 IDEA-B LEA MOE Compliance Review.
- Ensure you have budget source documentation to support the amount entered in Line 2 (budget for 2020-2021 special education expenditures from the general fund)