House Bill 3 Reading Academies Overview
Per House Bill 3 (HB 3), passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in June of 2019, all kindergarten through third grade teachers and principals must attend a teacher literacy achievement academy by the 2021-2022 school year. For simplification and to avoid confusion with other grant programs and past literacy achievement academies, the Texas Education Agency is referring to this latest requirement as the HB 3 Reading Academies.
Both models will cover the same content using the same HB 3 learning management system (Canvas) and will require submission of the same artifacts. Districts choose one or both models, depending on individual needs.
For School Districts
District Decision Making FAQ
We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions to provide guidance to each LEA. The FAQ can be accessed here.
- For any district choosing to Implement Locally and wanting to enter an MOU with Education Service Center, Region 20, you can access our MOU here.
- For any district choosing to Utilize and AP please contact Joel.Rodriguez@esc20.net in order to update your district planning table.
Teachers and administrators have 3 school years to complete the academies: 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23. After 2023, before a teacher (or a principal) can be assigned to a K-3 class/campus, they must: have completed the academy, or be enrolled in an academy. This includes new teachers and teachers moving from another assignment to K-3.
How Do Teachers Enroll in Academies
For any additional questions regarding the enrollment process please contact your district administrator overseeing Reading Academies. You may also email Joel.Rodriguez@esc20.net in order to find out who your district administrator is.
For Prospective Cohort Leaders
Cohort Leaders are the lead facilitators for the new K-3 Reading Academies. To learn more about the Cohort Leader role, and the process for completing the Screener, visit TEA's FAQs, or Cohort Leader Screener overview presentation.
All prospective cohort leaders must register and take the screener in any of the revised Cohort Leader Screener windows.
***Window 2 Notification is Monday, May 18 (between 12 PM - 5 PM CST)***
- After the screener is completed, results will be shared with each applicant and the Authorized Provider (ESC20)
- Applicants can re-apply in another window if available and can apply only 3 times in a year
- Authorized Providers (ESC20) will be responsible for ensuring leaders hired for the local implementation model have met all necessary requirements
- Cohort leaders can only lead one path, blended or comprehensive and attend the Cohort Leader Training
Revised Cohort Leader TOT Dates
Virtual Cohort Leader Training will help address capacity concerns.
Pre-work may be assigned once a Cohort Leader is registered.
Reading and Mathematics Achievement Academies