Physical Activity Requirements for Texas Public School Students
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
Physical Education FAQ
What is a Concussion Oversight Team (COT)?
Who should be on the Concussion Oversight Team (COT)?
What is the role of the Concussion Oversight Team (COT)?
Who is required to receive training over concussions?
- a coach of an interscholastic athletic activity;
- a school nurse who serves as a member of a concussion oversight team;
- a licensed health care professional (including an athletic trainer) who serves as a member of a concussion oversight team (LEA employee and volunteers)
- A physician who serves as a member of a concussion oversight team shall, to the greatest extent practicable, periodically take an appropriate continuing medical education course in the subject matter of concussions.
- A school nurse or licensed health care professional who is not in compliance with the training requirements under this section may not serve on a concussion oversight team in any capacity.
Where can I find more information on Concussion requirements in Texas?
Physical Fitness Assessment / FitnessGram
Are LEAs required to assess the physical fitness of students?
What physical fitness assessments must be conducted on students?
What is PFAI is this the same thing as FitnessGram?
How often must the student physical fitness assessment be conducted?
When should the PFAI be conducted?
When/where are the reports due?
What are the physical activity requirements for students in elementary and middle school?
Is recess required?
Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS)
What is the Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS)?
- Behaviors that contribute to unintentional injuries and violence
- Sexual behaviors related to unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV infection
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Tobacco use
- Unhealthy dietary behaviors
- Inadequate physical activity
When is the YRBS conducted?
How are the results from the YRBS used?
Are LEAs required to participate in the survey required?
Where can a LEA find out more about the YRBS in Texas?
Are their requirements for any LEA staff to participate in training on steroids?
Where can a copy of the UIL Steroid Education training for coaches be found?
Are there any required postings regarding steroids?
Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 260, Sec. 1, eff. May 30, 1995. EDUCATION CODE CHAPTER 38. HEALTH AND SAFETY (texas.gov)