A Paraprofessional is an individual, employed by a Local Education Agency (LEA), who provides instructional support or assistance.
Education Service Center, Region 20 offers a four-day workshop aligned with the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) (formally known as “No Child Left Behind”) enacted on December 15, 2015, which meets the requirements for highly qualified paraprofessionals. This paraprofessional course provides scientifically based research strategies to assist in reading, writing, and math instruction as required in the ESSA.
This workshop is aligned with statewide Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) information and initiatives. Some additional areas of focus include understanding and addressing the roles and responsibilities of a paraprofessional, student diversity, instructional strategies, sheltered instruction and on the job skills. Some of those skills include:
- Providing one-on-one tutoring to students
- Assisting with classroom management
- Providing instruction assistance in a computer lab, media center, or library
- Conducting parental involvement activities
- Acting as a translator
- Providing instructional support services under the direct supervision of a highly qualified teacher (Title I, Section 1119(g)(2))
Education Service Center, Region 20 provides training and technical assistance to districts and charter schools in the areas of:
- Programs to support paraprofessionals in meeting the Highly Qualified requirements of ESSA
- Effective instructional strategies that support classroom learning, i.e. reading, writing and mathematics
Paraprofessional Workshop Fee
Education Service Center, Region 20 offers a four-day workshop aligned with the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) (formally known as “No Child Left Behind”) enacted on December 15, 2015, which meets the requirements for highly qualified paraprofessionals. The fee for this four-day workshop is $200. You must attend all four days and pass the final assessment in order to receive certification.
Additional Certifications & Resources
Texas School District Job Opportunities: