Non-Educational Support Services
- provide assistance to support families of students with disabilities (with an Individualized Education Program),
- age 3 through 21,
- who are at risk of being placed in a residential facility primarily for educational purposes.
- may also be used to support the family when a student with disabilities placed in a residential facility primarily for educational purposes returns home from the residential facility.
Non-Ed funds are not applicable to students with disabilities with only a Section 504 accommodations plan.
Services provided with Non-Ed funds must be non-educational in nature and must not be used for services that are paid with educational funds. All special education and related services allowable by Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Part B (IDEA-B) in the implementation of a student's IEP are not allowable expenditures with Non-Ed funds.
Respite Care and Attendant Care are the only services allowable with Non-Ed funds for students with autism.
- Respite care is intended to provide relief to parents and families with intermittent, short-term care (e.g. weekends, during school holidays). Regularly scheduled periods of respite care over an extended period of time are not allowable with Non-Ed funds.
- Attendant care is intended to provide occasional outside assistance to parents and families to normalize routine family activities, including hours when families must sleep. Attendant care is not allowable for baby-sitting or to replace day/night care services.
23-24 Application & Deadlines - click this heading for effective dates
Funding Period: September 1, 2023 - August 31, 2024
Non-Ed funds are optional, but can only be initiated by an LEA (ISD or Open-Enrollment Charter School). If an LEA chooses to apply for Non-Ed funds, the Non-Ed application must be submitted to ESC-20 by the deadline. The application process requires collaboration between the LEA , parent(s), and the Community Resource Coordination Group (CRCG) that services the area in which the student resides.
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 29, 2023
By September 29, 2023, please submit the completed, signed application(s) to the ESC-20 contact via email. (ESC-20 Contact link is located at the upper right corner of this webpage.) Maintain the original documents locally.
After the September 29, 2023 deadline to submit 2023-2024 Non-Ed applications, please contact ESC-20 (using the Contact link mentioned above) to inquire if funds are available.
Complete one application per student. For privacy reasons, please do NOT include student names in any emails or in the application. Instead, use student initials or another method to distinguish students without using their names.
Allowable Expenditures and FAQ - click this heading to access resources
Community Resource Coordination Groups (CRCGs) - click this heading for information
For assistance in contacting your county's CRCG, please visit their webpage: